Saturday, October 1, 2011

Our Last Moving Day Experience

While we were trying to finish up our move on Wednesday Travis started a fire so we could burn our extra wood and some of his personal papers. It was really fun! We had the missionaries and the Eisenbradts over helping us and we had a little marshmallow roast. The next night Travis and Bryson stayed late to burn more papers and wood from our wood pile. I was at home when I got a phone call from a friend saying that the fire department was at our home. I was really worried about Travis and Bryson, but they were ok and there was no fire except for the one in the pit. The neighbors called the fire department because they were worried about the smoke the saw coming from the back yard. (I thought this was a little strange because we always had our fire pit going while we lived there.)The Fire Department put the fire out while they were there because we had no water. The fire department told Travis how he can get a fire permit and went on there way. 
This morning Travis went to pick up the missionaries because they were going to help him move the basket ball hoop from our old place. While they were there I had a feeling to call Travis. I called him and he didn't answer so I thought I would go to our old place and see if they needed help. As I was driving down Lone Pine I could see a whole lot of smoke coming from our old place. As I turned down McAndrews I saw the whole fire department and a few police cars blocking up the road right in front of our house. Travis and the missionaries were not at the house and I couldn't get a hold of them. I had so much  fear come over me. I thought that Travis started another fire and he was going to get fined or possibly arrested. I was worried about our poor missionaries and was imagining the worse. They finally came home and told me that they didn't start a fire. Travis and the missionaries dumped out the ashes over by the shed when they were cleaning up last night and were even digging through the ashes to get random pieces of wood out and then left for the night. Sometime this morning  the shed caught on fire and that's what started the whole scene this morning. Travis did not get in trouble because the fire department didn't do a good job at putting the fire completely out the last time the were there. We finally were able to get the last of our things out of the house this morning. I'm so happy and thankful for the missionaries, Chuck, Tim, Tom, Nathan and our new friend Marc for their help. We wouldn't have been able to move out on time without all their help. This was a long hard move and I'm so glad it's over! It will be a move that we will always remember. It definitely ended in a bang. ;(

1 comment:

Whitmer Family said...

Scary! I'm glad your family is okay, I bet your heart took a while to recover from the scare!