Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lexie's Mothers Day Talk

This was the best Mothers day ever, not only did I get a bunch of sweet gifts from my kids and Travis, but Lexie gave an amazing talk about me and mothers. I'm so very blessed to be a mother to such wonderful children.

This is the talk Lexie gave in sacrament today. Please take the time to read it because she did a great job!

I was asked to speak on how my mother has been example of faith and the importance that value is for me as a young woman. Faith is a principle of action and power. Whenever you work towards a worthy goal, you exercise faith. You show your hope for something you cannot see. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Having faith in Jesus Christ means relying completely on him, trusting in his power, intelligence, and love. It includes believing in his teachings. Remember that because he has experienced all your pains, afflictions, and infirmities, he knows how to help you rise above your daily difficulties.

You express your faith through action, by the way you live. Your faith can lead you to do good works, obey the commandments, and repent of your sins. Faith is a gift from god, but you must nurture your faith to keep it strong. Faith is like the muscle of your arm. If you exercise it, it grows strong.

There are many mothers in the scriptures that had great faith. The widow of Zerapheth had faith. She was making bread with all the flour she had had left for her and her son to survive. And they lay there sick and ready to die. The prophet Elijah came to her and said would you make me your last amount of bread, for you will have everlasting flour and water. And you and your son will have great health and survive. Zerapheth had faith and did as she was told to bake him all that she had left. Prophet Elijah ate his bread, thanked her and left. Zerapheth checked the empty jar and it was full of flour. That is one of my favorite stories in the scriptures that tell us about faith.

Having faith means believing in things which are not seen but which are true. Even though we do not see our heavenly father we can have faith knowing he is there, and that he blesses us as we do what is right and follow his commandments.

My mom is a great example of faith. She tries her hardest to her accomplish her goals in life. She helps our family grow strong with love and happiness by being positive and great example of heavenly father. My mom has strong faith in our heavenly father and strives to be even more like him. Even though we all have daily difficulties in life you can have faith and believe things will get better.

My mom is very, very helpful by faith. When I am not feeling so achieved she keeps me running and cheers me up. She tries her hardest to encourage me to get straight A’s in school. And if I am having a hard time she says to believe that I can do it, have faith. It is very funny because with all of us kids in our family she sings a song from the preschool show yo gabba gabba. Saying Keep trying keep trying, never give up, don’t give up. And it makes me laugh every time.

My mom helps me as a young woman too. I finished my personal progress by her encouragement telling me to have faith. I did have faith, finishing the book of mormon and personal progress. It was really fun. In the young women’s theme it says… We are daughters of our heavenly father who loves us and we love him. We stand as witnesses of god at all times, in all things and in all places as we strive to live the young women values, which are… Faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, integrity and virtue.

Notice that Faith is said first and to me that means that is very important because without faith it would be hard to stand as a witness of a god.

In the primary song Faith it says…. Faith is knowing the sun will rise, brighten each new day, faith is knowing the lord will hear my prayers each time I pray. Faith is like a little seed if planted it will grow. Faith is a feeling within my heart, when I do right I know.

I’d like to bare my testimony that I know if we have faith we will be blessed. And that my mom is such a great example to me and love her so very much and without her it would be hard to live a faithful life. I just wanted to let all you mothers know that you are loved so very much by your family and friends. And it is such a blessing to have mothers with strong faith.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ… Amen.

2 comments:

Robert and Jill said...

Wow, this is so good! What a wonderful talk she gave. I'm so proud of her and I know you are to. Great talk Lexie :))

families are forever said...

Great Talk, Great Faith, Great Mom!