Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Freedom

I have been thinking a lot about freedom and how blessed we are to live in this country where we have freedom. When I was eighteen and living in South Dakota, my dad sent me a nice letter about freedom. Here is a little part of that letter; Freedom is a difficult thing to achieve. It isn't a gift that you are entitled to but something you work for and treasure and make sacrifices for. It isn't a solid thing like a ball you can hold in your arms but it's like a light that grows within you. The more freedom you have the brighter you become. It can quickly dim or be snuffed out like a candle in the wind. Our mission is to gather up the light of freedom and hold onto it and discipline ourselves so that we don't let any of it slip away. How do we do that? We gather up freedom by making good choices. Free agency is the freedom to choose. The choices that we make determines how much freedom we have to make other choices in the future. I think about my dad's letter all the time. Freedom is a treasure and I just want to thank my dad for the letter he wrote years ago and reminding me of how blessed we are to have the freedoms we have today.

3 comments:

Robert and Jill said...

I remember when he wrote that talk. It seems like yesterday. He sure has a way with words. That neat you saved it. Happy 4th! See you soon.

families are forever said...

very nice, glenn is giving a talk on freedom next week, I will pass the thoughts on to him.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!!! We are so lucky, and blessed to be able to pretty much do whatever we want... and that we have some awesome brave people fighting to keep that ability. Looks like you've been busy!! Goll, you go out of town for a week, and there's NO way to catch up on everyones busy blog lives!! Happy 4th!