Tuesday, March 22, 2011

German Cookies

My friend Gwyn made these for YW and I just had to get the recipe. They are so yummy! She told me that the reason why they call them German Cookies is because moms used to send them to their sons fighting in Germany in WWII and this is an old recipe from her great grandma. Old! I made them and they turned out great. I think I have a new favorite treat. Thanks Gwyn!

2 1/3 C brown sugar
4 eggs
2 1/4 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional - I don't usually)

Preheat oven to 375. Beat brown sugar and eggs until light colored and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and blend. Spread onto a greased 9 x 13 and bake about 35 minutes (they edges tend to get done really fast but you don't want the middle to be too raw, so just keep an eye on it.)

Glaze:
1 C powdered sugar
2 T water
Beat until smooth and spread on cookies soon after they come out of the oven.

No comments: