Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Favorite Mug!

It's raining here this morning and when the weather gets cold I love to have hot chocolate to warm me up. When I was eighteen I went to live with my Aunt Nena in South Dakota. I didn't really know her that well at the time and was a little nervous to go live with her so far away from everything and everyone. I was in South Dakota for six months and I loved it there. I was a little home sick at times but my Aunt Nena was so much fun to be with! We use to always go bargain shopping together. There is this one time I will always remember, after shopping we went to get in her luxury van and the alarm went off. Nena didn't know how to stop it , she stared the van and the alarm was still going loud and strong. She ended up leaving the parking lot with the alarm still going off. I was slumped down in my seat because I was too embarrassed to be seen by other drivers. I remember Nena telling me "Sit up Kathlene! If I have to go through this so do you." We ended up laughing the whole way home. We use to go visit my uncle Dewight (my uncle Dewight is a perfectionist) at is office and I would mess with the stuff on his desk when he wasn't looking just to see if he would notice and he always did. I remember Aunt Nena's yummy poppy seed chicken, homemade Tapioca pudding, and the warm bread she would always make in the bread machine. My cousins and I would always fight over the heel because it was the best part. I made my first scarecrow (Stanley) while I was there. I remember helping Aunt Nena decorate and spray paint Christmas bulbs and pine cones for their Christmas tree. I could go on and on about all the fun I had in South Dakota. I can't believe that it was over thirteen years ago, it still feels like yesterday. Anyway, the point of the whole story is that whenever it is cold outside I get out my favorite Winnie The Pooh mug I got from my Aunt Nena (I'm surprised that I still have it after thirteen years), and fill it with yummy hot chocolate and mini marshmallows and think about all the good times we had together. I love you Aunt Nena and miss you very much!!

9 comments:

families are forever said...

What fun memories and what a great day for hot coco! smiles Danette

Christine said...

I hope I can be a cool aunt like yours someday!

Sonnet said...

Dont forget Jason Meyer & all your fun moments with me! Sadly you have more happy moments with my mom there than with me. All I did was annoy you with my toes & dirty room I think. My read it and loved it!!

Bean said...

Sonnet, I had so much fun with you too! Do you remember cleaning the basement after moving in, and jumping into the huge piles of packing paper all over the floor. We also made up a blues song about Joey's Mini Wench. We played Spoon's and Go Fish all the time. I remember when we played the M.A.S.H Game and it said that you were going to marry Dave. We had lots of fun together. I love you Sonnet!

Sonnet said...

Wow I didnt remember the blue song about Joeys mini wench. haha fun stuff.

Aaron and Carrie Warnick said...

Wow! That is cool. That is a long time to have something like that. I am surprised that it has lasted though all the moves. MMMM Hot chocolate sounds good.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing the fun memories of Aunt Nena. I always got so excited when she would come and visit us during the summer. Good times.

Jeff and Holly said...

Crazy how time flys! I was just with a friend that I haven't hung out with in 13 years. Seemed just like yesterday. I need to write more memories down for my kiddoes.
I just got off the phone with Travis. It was fun talking with him. I hope the dentist wasn't too mean to you! I went last week and had to have a filling, because it was next to another cavity the 2 metals reacted when put together. It felt like I was chewing on tin foil for about 5 days. Man, that was anoying!!
I invited you guys to come go skiing with us in Feb. I understand that may not be your idea of fun, but it doesn't hurt to ask! We could get a cabin w/2 rooms and a hot tub on the padio and the ski hills right there. I just started snow bording, so if you are slow...I'll be slower. If your fast...I'll wear my ski's! Anyway, Hawii sounds way better, but that will have to wait for a little cash flow first. I am going to tell Jeff to keep his eyes open for a continued education convention somewhere in Hawii or Mexico for next year. Anyway, call me.

Love you!

Nena said...

It was sooo cool to have a buddy with me in a new place. If you hadnt of come to stay with us we wouldnt be such good friends. Im so happy for that and for the time I was able to spend with you and get to know how sweet and fun you are! Wonderful sweet memories that made South Dakota bareable. Dont forget all the flies on that roasted pig. Yup good times. Love and miss you!! Thanks for remembering me!!