Friday, March 13, 2009

What Does It Mean To Be Shy?

I have been known my whole life as a person who is shy. I was talking to my friend Jeri the other day and we were talking about what it really means to be shy. I decided I would look it up on the Internet and this is what some people had to say about being shy.
1. A person that is usually quite and secluded especially around new people. They are sometimes afraid of saying there opinions for fear of what people will think. I don't think they have low self esteem, I mean they could but I don't think all "shy" people have low self esteem. They can also be very unsure about there opinions or what they want to say.
2. One who is afraid of being ridiculed or rejected (fear of failure/fear of people) or one could just be appearing shy because they can't or won't look beyond themselves and look outward to what someone else may want, need or have to offer (self-absorbed).
3. Being socially defunct.
I don't think I'm shy, I just don't like speaking in front of large groups. I may be a little quieter than most people, but I don't think that makes me shy. I'm not afraid to speak my mind and I don't care too much about what other people think about me. I don't think I have low self esteem or that I'm self-absorbed. I think people have been calling me "shy" for too long. I may be a little quiet, but I'm not shy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never have described you as shy... so people don't trip!!! :) I don't like talking too awful much to a bunch of people I don't know... I mean, what do you talk about? and do they really care what you have to say... who knows.. sometimes it's nice to just sit and people watch.. study the scene before making everyone else look foolish!!??

Cameron said...

Nope definitely not shy just quiet and reserved. I like number three that describes me, socially defunt highs and lows throughout life and erractic too.

Jeff and Holly said...

I would say you don't fit that discription at all. You are way to social and fun to fit in that mold. Don't worry, everyone else always has plenty to say to fill in the empty spaces. You are perfect!

families are forever said...

thanks for sharing the definition, it shows how we sometimes use words that we don't know the full meaning of.

Sonnet said...

Yes NOT SHY!! NO way! Not even close!

Savannah said...

haha I think it's funny that people classify you as shy! I would say you are outgoing and social!

Bean said...

Thanks Savannah! That is the first time someone has ever said that to me.